Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Why Base 60? - Blog Response #3

    When I compare the numbers 60 and 10, I see that 60 has more factors 10. It has many factors that include 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 12, 15, 20, 30, 60, while 10 only has 1, 2, 5, 10. This means that 60 is a lot more flexible and effective when it comes to dividing it by smaller numbers. I also think that certain fractions like halves, thirds, quarters, fifths, and sixths can be easily represented with a system based off 60.  The most useful application of 60 that I use in my daily life is, of course, time! It is indeed an important number to help us convert between seconds, minutes and hours. I also enjoy listening to music set at 60 BPM because it tends to be relaxing and emotionally powerful. 

    After doing research, it does indeed seem that the Babylonians valued 60 for its highly composite nature. Without needing to resort complex fractions, they were able to effectively carry out trade, measurements, and astronomical calculations. To add onto the point regarding astronomy, the Babylonians divided the sky into 360 degrees, a multiple of 60, to track celestial movement and accurately create calendars.

1 comment: