It has certainly been a wonderful semester and getting to know great people. The structure and nature of the course was collaborative and refreshing, which was completely different when comparing it to my math undergraduate classes that I took alongside this course. There was a lot about math history that I didn't know of before this taking this class like base 60 number systems and the exact origins of Pythagoras theorem. I also knew very little about the contributions that ancient civilizations like Babylonians and Egyptians made to current mathematics. Some of the in-class activities involving solving ancient math word problems are definitely one of my favourite memories. Even seeing the glimpse of the origins of modern mathematics through Euclid's Elements was extremely interesting to me!
Overall, listening to my peers' discussions and presentations were the most valuable to me. Everyone is so passionate and intelligent about their ideas which makes learning from each other extremely enjoyable. The structure of this course further supports and fosters environments like this, which I'm sure that Susan will continue to maintain!
I look forward to continue learning about more math history, story-telling, and art as I take more courses, participate in classrooms, and engage with the community. I hope to implement in my own class someday and pass all these fun ideas to my future students.
Until next time,
JJ Kim
Thanks so much for your thoughtful reflections and great participation in the course, JJ! Looking forward to seeing you in future math education courses as you become an excellent new math teacher!
ReplyDelete